Monday, December 6, 2010

Essentialism in Aesthetics

In art, essentialism represents the inherent strengths and weaknesses of various forms of communication.  That is to say, a painting does little justice to the speed of a WWII dogfight, but the attention to detail allows the viewer to inspect each subtle grain of inspiration.  Although artists are innately limited by their physical talents, it's still important to respect essentialist boundaries of media for several reasons.


Take, for instance, this National Guard commercial ... 3 Doors Down ft. The National Guard.  When I saw this video, I actually couldn't believe that the National Guard could make such a mockery of war as to align it with a mainstream music video.  I am no soldier, but I do know that war is hell; and although the National Guard isn't exactly our first line of defense, I couldn't help but view this as poor taste.  This commercial is a perfect example of media violating essentialist limitations, and therefor sending the wrong message ... at least to me.


Moving forward with the physical limitations of media, it is also important to use such limitations as markers for your fan base.  For instance, a classical melody about the perils of teenage drug use may send the desired message ... but to the wrong people.  


Lastly, is the risk of sending the opposite message!  My favorite example >>> Talking Dog = Awesome!
Okay, for starters ... if my dog started talking to me, I'd probably start hoarding whatever drug I was on when it happened, because I have a lot of questions for her.  Truthfully, the only way to stop drug abuse is through actual education.  This is why such commercials as "Above the Influence" often miss the mark when choosing a message to convey to their kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment