What is this term "politically correct", and why are we so obsessed with it?
For starters, let us disambiguate such a statement. On the surface, it suggests the esteemed approval of the political figures; as to say, politically correct statements have the stamp of approval from President Barack Obama ... but is that really where the term lies?
It might just be me, but I think politicians represent all that is wrong with the world. Plato once said that in order for the world to develop in a successful manner, we must trust in philosopher kings for needed change. These days, all we do is buy into whatever bullshit political parties spit out, pick a side, and vote. Of course, our false confidence in whatever media conglomerate we see these politicians through forces us to believe most of the blatant lies they drown us with; but what's really important is that we trust our media coverage so much that we cannot think for ourselves.
Moving forward, the term "politically correct" may signify a stamp of approval from Barack Obama; and I argue even that is a tainted definition of approval, however I take these two words to mean something totally different. Perhaps my polysemic understanding of such a term is rooted in my upbringing as a jaded New Yorker, but I absolutely detest when people need to be "politically correct".
To me, "politically correct" merely means that even a politician would speak in such terms publicly. Now, I ask you; given my aforementioned understanding of politicians ... aren't most statements of political correctness just lies draped in the fancy cloth of the mass media? I think the term just demeans whatever true statement is hidden behind it!
My mom once taught me; if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
Or be an asshole but suffer the consequences ...
No comments:
Post a Comment